Saturday, May 19, 2012

Humble Recognition

I believe in truly earning what you get. Receiving something isn’t worth anything unless you work for it. The satisfaction just isn’t there when you know you didn’t deserve what you got.

Satisfaction is priceless. There is no greater feeling than being recognized for something you worked hard at. When you put your full effort into something, you get a sense of self-gratification, but when someone else notices it too, that is just icing on the cake. If you receive something because you are related to the presenter or because you cheated the system in some way, you don’t feel content. You only feel guilt. That guilt won’t make you want to improve yourself either. You will just keep cheating and have pile of remorse on your conscience.

There have been many times in my life when I’ve gotten things I didn’t deserve. I have done things such as getting an A in a class when I didn’t really do A-quality work. When I was younger, I used to use my name and my connection through my older brothers and such to get things I wanted. If I wanted a solo or something at a summer camp, I would make a point to talk about my older brothers who were very talented and who’d be coming to see me. I expected them to give me the solo because of who I was, not because of my abilities. It worked every time, except once. That one time, you’d think I would be crushed that I didn’t get that solo. In actuality, I didn’t care that I didn’t get it, I was just mad that another girl got it. Selfish, right? That’s what happens when you’re used to getting things you don’t deserve. It changes you.

I will never forget the time I was surprised by an award. I never expected that I’d get the “leadership crown” for my dance team. It’s a silly tradition, but even so, it is highly respected and sought after. I assumed that this other girl on the team would get it because she’s a better dancer than me and everyone always raved over her talent. When I received it, I was so shocked and touched that I cried. I wasn’t expecting it at all, which made me feel so special. It showed me that I didn’t have to show off to be noticed. It was even my humility that made me a good candidate for that fuzzy, pink crown.

Don’t expect to receive things if you don’t deserve them. Don’t expect an A on a test if you didn’t do the homework. Don’t expect to receive a choir award if you don’t enjoy singing. Don’t expect to be MVP if you don’t try your hardest at practice. Don’t expect anything if you actually do the work either.

No comments:

Post a Comment