Monday, February 27, 2012

I Miss Winter


                This winter has not even been a winter. It has been warm and green. Real Iowa winters are white and cold and almost unbearable. We have only had one snow day so far, which is nice, but also really weird. I love waking up and seeing a note from my father on my night stand saying that here is a delay or no school. That has only happened 3 times this year. That kind of makes me sad.  I look forward to those lovely little surprises that let me sleep in. I wish I got more this year. We only really have one more month of winter left, but there normally are not many snow storms in March.
                I have been able to walk home this winter after school. In past years, I would wait at school until I could get a ride home because I could not stand the walk the few blocks to my house. This year I walk home no problem. Sometimes I was even able to walk home in only a light jacket. I like that, but I do not like that at the same time. It is weird. It is not the Iowa that I’m used to. I wish that this year was more normal.
                I also love the beauty of winter. The gross green/yellow, dead grass is terrible. It is ugly and the dead tree do nothing better for the scenery. The Iowa winter I know has trees caked with snow. There is about a foot of snow on the ground all the time and you can see in people’s front yards where the little children made snowmen, went sledding, and make snow angles. Sure, the dirty road snow was ugly, but everything else was so pretty. I never got to walk around in the snow all bundled up in a cute hat, scarf, and mittens. (That is one of my dreams. I want to walk around in the snow all cute and bundled up with coffee or hot chocolate in hand with my boyfriend or someone like that. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?)
                I miss Iowa winter. I hope it comes back next year.  (360 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment