Monday, April 16, 2012

A prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Irving, John. A Prayer for Owen Meany. Ballantine Books: New York. 1989. (99 pages)

            I am not very far into this book, but I can tell it is a good one. The author is very descriptive of the people he knew and the places he went. He also shed light on each situation in this book by giving his thoughts as a boy and insight as a man. I enjoy that he talks about both his past and present life in this book, but it has gotten a bit confusing at times. I very much enjoy his descriptions of his friend Owen, of who this book centers upon, and his technique of setting Owen’s voice apart by placing everything he says in all capital letters. That was very clever of him and also very effective because each time I read the capital letters; I hear a funny voice speaking them in my head.

            So far, the book is going by a bit slowly. I have not been “hooked” on this book yet. I know all of the characters and the gist of the plot line so far, but the book has not become a page-turner for me yet. I hope that once I read more, it will become more engaging. Irving seems like a very good writer and I hope to enjoy the book more once I get further into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment